Sunday, November 26, 2006

Evelynn Brooke and Jackson Alexander

Our twins, Evelynn Brooke and Jackson Alexander were born Wednesday November 22, 2006 at 30 weeks & 2 days. Both born vaginally, Evie came first at 9:39 pm and 3 minutes later Jackson was delivered footling breech at 9:42pm. Evie weighed 3 lbs 7 1/4 oz, 15 inches long and Jackson was 3 lbs 8 1/4 oz and 15 1/2 inches long. By the time they were born I had been in the hospital for 12 days - hospitalized at 28 weeks & 4 days due to preterm labor and being 3 full cm dialated. With the help of magnesium sulfate, endocin and then nifedipine after the mag was stopped we were able to hold off delivery long enough for me to have the beta methosone steroid shots. My doctors (maternal fetal medicine) all expected me to deliver that first weekend and were very surprised we made it as far as we did. While difficult at times, the time spent in the hospital was well worth every second. My babies both had amazing birth weights and even tho they didnt work 100%, the steroid shots did help mature their lungs some.

Their updates as of today - 4 days old - are...

Evie : weighs 3 lbs 2 oz, oxygen is at 3 and 23% (21% is room air, almost there!!), taking 14 cc's every 3 hours for feeding. that amount should be increased to 16 cc's at her 11pm feeding and then 18 cc's at her 11am feeding tommorrow. Friday and Saturday she had preemie formula (except for 1 feeding on Saturday) but as of today theres enough breastmilk to cover her for 24 hours, and I already have pumped enough for 5 feedings for Tuesday that Ill take in tommorrow. By the time we go I should have enough for all of Tuesdays feedings. She loves her preemie pacifier and doesnt like having her temperature taken or her diaper changed lol I held her for the first time today!! She is allowed to be held once a day for 20 minutes. It was so amazing! Tommorrow dh and I are going to share her, he will get her 10 minutes and Ill get her 10 minutes ;)

Jackson : weighs 3 lbs 4 oz, oxygen is 3 and 21%!!!!! He should be off his nasal cannula in a day or 2! Everything else i said about Evie is the same for Jackson.. only thing different was his weight and oxygen :) Oh, and he had his first bath Friday night!

My plan for this blog is this... Im going to copy and paste what I have typed up about the babies on various websites to bring everything up to date, then I will just update this blog as information changes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to see the babies today :))) They are so tiny but are doing very well. Evie had a grip on my hand and Jackson tried to crawl when he was put on his stomach!! (This is true) Their feet are the same length as my thumb! Both babies are doing great.
GrandMari

Cheryl said...

You and the babies are in my thoughts and prayers - glad to hear that they are doing so well!