Sunday, November 26, 2006

Post from 11/24/06

I typed this on a moms of mulitples board 11/24/06 at 11:41 pm

i had my sweet babies at 30 weeks and 2 days, after 12 days in the hospital for preterm labor.
First came Evie weighing 3 lbs 7 1/4 oz and 15 inches long. 3 minutes later Jackson was born at 3 lbs 8 1/4 inches and 15 1/2 inches long. Both born vaginally, Evie was head down and Jackson was a footling breech/breech extraction. It was honestly a pain free birth for me - just had some no-pain pressure. I had 1 contraction with 4 pushes and out popped Evie. I dont think i even pushed with Jackson. I reached down and touched his little head after he came out. And cried LOL It was a very emotional 2 weeks for my husband and I and it was honestly what i would call the most beautiful moment of my life when these little ones were born. the connection between dh and i, the birth, watching him cut their cords... it really was amazing. We both feel so extremely blessed.

I did have the steroid shots for their lungs but they both still needed that medicine to inflate their lungs. they each have a nasal cannula, a tube in their mouth for removing air i believe, an IV type thing in their belly buttons, a handful of leads/monitors. they have both made improvements in how much help they need to breath and tonight i was checking on them and the nurse said she didnt have dr orders yet but it looks like Jackson's will be turned down again. hey have both lost 3 oz since birth, but we know thats normal. they both started phototherapy for jaundice today as well. im kind of glad they started because we knew they would need it and it feels like the sooner it starts, the sooner its over and they can come home

they started getting 4 cc's of formula in their iv fluid thing today, but once i get some milk pumped they will be getting breastmilk. i started pumping yesterday and have been drinking tons of water and pumping every few hours - i got enough colostrum this evening from one side to cover the bottom of the little bottle, didnt have any height the it but it did cover. So it seems to be going well and hopefully i will have some yummy breastmilk for my sweet little ones tommorrow or Sunday!

Let's see, what else... OH!! they both have a great sucking reflex already, trying to put everything in their mouths to suck on from their fingers to their cannulas LOL, so they each got a little preemie pacifier their night nurse said they both love the pacifiers and Jackson sucks on his pacifier while she is giving him his feeding and then afterwards he falls asleep with it hanging out of his mouth. Precious!! And Evie loves her so much she sucks on it during her feedings and then keeps on going LOL! Im so pleased they have a good sucking reflex already!!!

Last night and this morning i got to take their temps and change their diapers it truly was wonderful And last night i was taking Evie's cannula out of her mouth (yes i know lol she pulls it out of her nose and gets it in her mouth to suck on, silly girl!) and she sucked on my finger!!!! I loved it AND... i also got to hear them both cry - Evie last night and Jackson this morning. And of course i cried too - my first time hearing anything more than a soft whimper from either of em!! It was only like 2 wahh's from each baby, but it was still amazing. And they have such different cries! Sound nothing alike!

Well... im sure im leaving something out. I came home today and am glad to be home with dh and my older girls, but i miss my babies so despratley. Im doing my best to keep my emotions in check by really focusing on the positive things happening but ive had a fewlittle breakdowns since ive been home. my girls asked me earlier if i was glad to be home and i said oh yeh... i spent 12 days crying for them in the hospital and now im at home and crying for the babies, ill be so happy when they come home and our family will be all together 3 hours after their birth the neonatologist said they may come home as early as 35 weeks gestation, which is Christmas Day!!! So maybe dh and I will have our complete family home for Christmas - what a blessing that would be Im not banking on anything tho, but it is a good thing to focus on during my super sad times.

We are heading up to the hospital tommorrow morning after breakfast - hoping to spend some good quality time with my babies its hard not being able to walk down the hall and see them whenever i want but i admit i am resting much better at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prettiest lil babies I've ever seen besides Mikayla and Harley!